Thursday, January 14, 2010

Weighty Issues

No one was more surprised than I that Caroline came into this world weighing as little as she did. An ultrasound three weeks before she was born estimated her weight at that time to be 7 lbs 5 oz, so we were expecting a butterball, considering she still had three more weeks to plump up even more. In those final weeks of pregnancy I kept telling myself that a good portion of the weight I put on was the baby, though John would argue that it came more from the 35 oz. barrel of cheese balls that took up residence in our house than the baby. I guess he was right, since she was only 6 lbs 9 oz when she was born. When we left the hospital she was down to 6 lbs 3 oz, then at her first doctor appointment a few days later she had lost another ounce.

Well, I am happy to report that she has been steadily going in the other direction since then. At her one month appointment she weighed in at a whopping 7 lbs 15.7 oz. Today I decided to weigh her in a completely unscientific way (i.e. weighing myself then weighing myself holding her and doing the math) and she is almost 9 1/2 pounds! This really shouldn't surprise me, based on the way she has been eating (around the clock), but she is still wearing newborn size clothes so it did catch me off guard. I think most of the weight is in her cheeks and chin(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment